Hot and Fast Brisket

My normal brisket cooks are done the way I know which is low and slow at 225 degrees.  With brisket prices being so high I’m a bit skittish to try and experiment with anything else.  Last week my local Kroger had an 8lb pre trimmed brisket on sale for about $24 bucks and I thought it would be good for experimenting.  One of the biggest drawbacks to cooking brisket is the long cook time and I’ve always wanted to try hot and fast.  With a “cheap” brisket in the fridge I thought now is a good time to give it a try.  To prep the brisket, I went with a simple Central Texas Salt, Pepper and Garlic (SPG) rub.



Brisket


I warmed up the UDS to 300 degrees and put the brisket on a little after 8:00 AM.  The cook was pretty easy as weather conditions allowed for easy fire maintenance.  The cook went along smoothly, as they normally do with low and slow, checking on the brisket every two hours to spritz with pickle juice.  About four hours in at an internal temp of 180 degrees, I had a beautiful bark so I wrapped the brisket with pink butcher paper.



After wrapping I started checking every hour and around 3 PM, a little over six hours from going on, the brisket probed in at 204 degrees so I put it in the oven to rest.  With a four year old who is always hungry we tend to eat around 5:30 PM so I sliced up the brisket to see what I had.  As soon as I started to slice I knew I didn’t have the moisture in the flat I’m use to with low and slow, but it got better as I got to the point of the brisket. 

Texas BBQ


The brisket had the right amount of smoke and the typical Central Texas flavor profile a SPG rub gives.  While a little dry, I was very pleased with the results and it paired well with Meyers BBQ Sauce.  Even though it was a little dry, I would consider this a minor success as it gives me the confidence to try again. Next time I cook Hot and Fast I’ll go with a full packer and trim the fat cap a little less to help with the moisture.

Guns Up
Added some Redskin Potato Salad with Mac and Cheese.


Recipe:
8lb Pre Trimmed Choice Brisket
Wood: Oak
Rub: Salt, Pepper and Garlic
Cook Time: 7-10 Hours

Guns Up!!


Comments