Monday, February 15, 2016

Ten50 BBQ

1050 BBQ
Parking Lot View


About two years ago while driving down 75 in Richardson I saw a “coming soon” sign for Ten50 BBQ. Out of curiosity I googled the name to see what I could find out about the place.  The first thing I read was it was from the founder of Chili’s and I unfairly lost interest.  To my family’s disappointment I’m not a fan of Chili’s and would prefer a Mom and Pop place for my dinner.  I sat back and waited for reviews to come in and some were positive and some negative, so I really never put this place on my must try list.  I knew I would eventually try it out, but I had other DFW locations I wanted to try first.  Last week the Dallas Observer put out an article for “The Best Barbecue Joints in North DFW.”  On that list was Ten50 BBQ along with some of my favorites in Winner's BBQ, Bet the House BBQ and Lockhart Plano.  Pretty impressive list so I made plans to take my BBQ buddy (my 4 year old daughter) for lunch.



I’m full of cliché’s so I arrived at 1050 BBQ on 1050 Central Expy at 10:50 AM which is their opening time.  Walking into the courtyard, you are immediately greeted by the pit room with two large rotisserie cookers and a large offset pit, which I understand from TMBBQ is no longer in action except to build coals.  Either way, they were three very impressive cookers.  Before you walk into the main door you are met by the meat slicer where you pick your meats before going inside to get your sides.  As usual I got the Texas Trinity of brisket, ribs and sausage, for sides I got their beans, mac and cheese and onion rings.






After paying, you are greeted by an enormous dining room and a beautiful bar filled with TVs.  If Kruez Market, 3 Stacks BBQ and Coopers BBQ had a child, you would get Ten50.  Not a bad thing as it takes some of the best things these places have to offer and puts it in one spot.  My first bite of moist brisket was phenomenal.  I immediately told myself I made a mistake waiting this long to give this place a try.  The rub was extremely savory, with the perfect amount of hickory/oak smoke.  It was without a doubt some of the best brisket I’ve had in North Texas.  I went and tried the lean and had the same thoughts, so far I’m really digging the place.  Ribs, while flavorful, were extremely dry, so onto the sausage I went.  Normally I’m a spicy sausage kind of guy, but with my daughter being with me I went with the original.  While flavorful I really missed the “kick” I’m used to, but still very good.

Texas BBQ
Texas Trinity


As for the sides, the mac and cheese was above average and reminded me a lot of Hutchin’s BBQ, while the beans paired well with the jalapenos from the condiment bar.  Finally I got to the onion rings, they were seasoned perfectly and without a doubt the best onion rings I’ve ever had.  Other patrons were gawking at the size, asking my daughter and me how much we liked them and then immediately going back to the cashier to order theirs.  I can’t emphasize enough; if you go to Ten50 get the onion rings. It’s the best $4 you’ll spend on food, I promise.

Onion rings
Amazing!!



So I messed up not trying this place earlier because of the Chili’s connection.  Despite the dry ribs, Ten50 was a fantastic experience. It’s the kind of place you take your out of town guests to because it has above great BBQ with a fantastic atmosphere.  I can’t wait to go back.

Ten50 BBQ

1050  N.Central Expressway
Richardson, TX  75080

www.ten50bbq.com



No comments:

Post a Comment