Thursday, March 3, 2016

The Shed BBQ and Blues Joint




The Shed

When I started cooking BBQ, I watched as many BBQ shows as I possibly could.  The Food Network aired a competition show called “Best in Smoke” that featured Brad Orrison, Co-Owner of The Shed BBQ in Ocean Springs, MS.  Brad’s enthusiasm and energy made me cheer for him to win and even though he didn’t,  I knew one day I would have to make a trip to MS to “Get Fed at the Shed.”

TV Listing


Southwest Airlines had some wicked good deals on flights to New Orleans and The Shed is only 95 miles away, so I booked a birthday daytrip.  I left my house in Allen, TX at 7 AM and pulled up to The Shed at 11:55 AM.  Less than a mile off I-10 at Exit 57 (BBQ Heaven) The Shed was easy to find.  Pulling up, you see exactly what the name implies, a big shed, along with an RV park and “junk” collected by Brad.  Upon arrival, I saw Brad and went up and introduced myself.  I was immediately greeted with a handshake and a hug.  Brad was nice enough to give me a tour of the place including the kitchen and smokers.  After the tour I went to the counter and ordered The Sampler Platter.  The sampler included brisket, pulled pork, chicken leg, chicken wings, sausage, baby backs and a spare rib.  This pile of meat came with 3 sides and I chose Mac and Cheese, Potato Salad and Mama Mia’s Famous Mac Salad.  Brad graciously bought my meal, but it has no impact on my review.

Guns Up
The Sampler


Once my plate arrived I immediately realized I wasn’t in Texas anymore!  All the meats came sauced which is something I’m not use to.  I was ok with this as the Shed has their own line of sauces and I buy them often as they are some of my favorites.  Brisket was “pulled” which again was a new one for me as most places in Texas serve sliced.  I was not a fan as it was mushy and gave it a pot roast consistency and flavor.  Next up, their specialty the baby back ribs. They were much better than the brisket and you can tell why they are one of the most popular items on the menu.  The baby backs, smoked with pecan, paired well with their sauce.  I moved onto the pulled pork which was very dry. The sauce wasn’t helping, so I moved onto the spare rib and it was the same story.  I was starting to get discouraged, but then I moved onto the smoked chicken.  I normally don’t like smoked chicken, but it came on the platter so I decided to give it a try.  The chicken was absolutely amazing, hands down the best smoked chicken I’ve ever had.  The smoked chicken had the perfect amount of smoke, seasoning and sauce.  I cleaned every single bone.  Finally, I tried the sausage. It immediately took me back to my childhood and the BBQ sauced covered Eckrich sausage my Mom used to make.  I was very happy to end on a good note.

Now my blog is about BBQ and I hardly ever talk about sides, but the sides I had at The Shed were amazing.  First up was the potato salad which was baked potato style. It was very creamy with perfectly cooked potatoes.  Next up was the mac and cheese which was rich, creamy and the first that can compete with what I make.  Lastly I had their famous mac salad which you can find the recipe to make at home here.  It had a wonderful bite from the onions and peppers and I finished every single bite.

Trophy Room
Competition Trophy Room



The Shed is an amazing place that you need to put on your BBQ bucket list.  It's amazing how many nice people you meet on the bbq trail and Brad and Brooke are right on up there with the best of them.  I can't thank Brad enough for his hospitality on a busy day.  I'm already planning a family vacation to Biloxi and when I do I'm going to The Shed at night when they have bands playing, beer flowing and good times rolling.  It really is one of the best BBQ atmosphere’s you will find.

The Shed BBQ and Blues Joint

7501 Hwy 57
Ocean Springs, MS

(228) 875-9590



No comments:

Post a Comment