Austin Day Trip



My wife flew off to Seoul, South Korea for her brother’s wedding and left me with our 4 year old daughter for 8 days.  She is not an adventurous eater so luckily for her; her brother is friends with Linus Kim owner of Linus Bama Stlye Barbecue.  She sent me some pics, and cravings for BBQ began.

Linus BBQ
Pulled Pork Platter from Linus


On day six of my wife being gone, I gave into the cravings. I called my mother to ask if she and my dad wanted to spend some quality time with their granddaughter and granddog.  Since my parents never say no to that, I knew I could make a trip to Austin.  I left my parent’s house SE of Alvarado, TX at 5:30 AM, and 30 minutes later I was making my first stop in West to get a kolache and some caffeine to get my day up and running.  

Kolaches
Too many choices at 6 AM

With no traffic, and going 75 mph, I made it to my next stop, Val’s Tex Mex by 8:00 AM.
In full disclosure, tacos are slightly above BBQ as my favorite food, so combining the two together is heaven for me and approaching Val’s trailer is like approaching the pearly gates.  I went with a brisket, egg, bacon and potato breakfast burrito and their brisket taco.  The breakfast taco was amazing with fluffy eggs and smoky brisket on a soft flour tortilla. The brisket taco was much of the same, but highlighted with homemade guacamole.  The creaminess of the avocado with the brisket is the perfect pairing.  I don’t foresee any future trips to Austin that do not include Val’s, it is that good.



With some time to kill, I stopped by a local HEB (as we do not have them in DFW yet) to grab some BBQ and hot sauces from local joints and restaurants and plan my next stop.  Still on my list of places in Austin to try include Freedman’s, Micklethwait and Stiles Switch.  Knowing that the temperatures will be in the 90s and above on my next trip to Austin, I decided this 70 degree day would best be spent at Micklethwait  and I would visit the brick and mortars with their wonderful A/C when I return in June.

Craft Meats


Arriving around 10:30 AM I was the first one there as they open at 11.  By 10:45 others began to show and the line started to form.  By 11:00 AM when they opened,  the line had to be 50 deep.  I was about 8th in line and had my food by 11:15.  I opted for the three meat plate of brisket, ribs and sausage with potato salad and jalapeno cheese grits.  I saw they had pulled pork and beef ribs on the menu as well, but knowing I couldn’t eat a beef rib alone, I added 1/4 of pulled pork to my order.



I wasn’t asked what cut of brisket I wanted, but was given a slice of lean and a slice of fatty.  Lean was nicely smoked, but a little dry and reminded me a lot of Hutchin's BBQ.  The fatty piece was a little too marbled, but what clean meat I was able to eat was enjoyable.  The Spare rib had a nice smoky sweet flavor, but was way under cooked. The sausage of the day was bierwurst, and I just didn’t like it however I don’t blame them for that as I’m not sure I’ve ever had a piece I’ve liked.  As for the pulled pork, there was no sign of moisture or smokiness and I was very disappointed.  Overall I would go back, but will try the beef ribs for sure.

Valentina’s Tex Mex
7612 Brodie Ln, Austin, TX 78745

Micklethwait
1309 Rosewood Ave, Austin, TX 78702

http://craftmeatsaustin.com/

Comments

  1. This place was amazing! Great food, it's smaller than others I guess but it is still a fair sized fun. The decor at these LA venues was amazing as every note of music reverberates off the beautiful walls. Everything about this venue is nothing less than 5 stars.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment