Killen's Barbecue

Around 10:30 AM

So the Houston BBQ scene is really starting to explode and I have put off going down as I’m not a fan of the traffic.  Working from home for the past 4 plus years has really spoiled me not having to fight it, but I do love the city and enjoy myself when there, but each and every time I have to talk myself into it.  After my daughter learned about the ocean in Pre-school she asked if we could go. Not having the time for a full blown vacation I agreed on a trip down to Galveston for a quick vacation so she could experience the ocean for the first time and I could experience Houston BBQ for the first time. It was a win win.  Sadly, scheduling only allowed me to try one spot and I chose to go down to Pearland and try Killen’s BBQ. 

Beef Ribs on the J&R

I arrived at Killen’s on a Sunday morning just after 10 AM and was fortunate enough to be about 10th in line.  As with most line waiting the conversation with those around you turn into talks about BBQ, places you’ve tried and your favorite cut of meat and before you know it the doors are opening.  For those who got in line at 11 vs 10 they would be waiting an hour themselves as the line stretched down the sidewalk and up the side of the building.  Killen’s has plate meals ranging from 1 to 6 meats which made sampling very easy for my family and me.  We ordered a four meat plate consisting of brisket, ribs, sausage and pulled pork as well as the beef rib plate.  As for sides we got mac and cheese (fried and regular), potato salad, beans and bread pudding for dessert. 

Texas Trinity and some pulled pork

The brisket was phenomenal, central Texas style with a salt and pepper rub and cooked to perfection. The ribs were nicely smoked and a little sweet. The sausage was a course grind and my least favorite of the trinity.  The pulled pork paired with their tangy sauce made for some of the best pork I’ve had at a restaurant.  The beef rib was by far my favorite meat of the day.  It reminded me a lot of Louie Mueller the Godfather of beef ribs.  Pepper is the primary rub, but not over powering and let the meat and smoke shine through.  Normally I don’t talk about sides too often, but Killen’s is the exception.  With so many places that I visit most meats begin to taste the same (not the case with Killen’s) so sometimes sides really stand out, and they do here.  The potato salad was creamy with perfectly cooked potatoes, not too soft and not too firm. The mac and cheese is the best you’ll find at a Texas BBQ joint and the fried mac and cheese is literally to die for.  The beans were above average, but my least favorite of the sides.  I normally don’t get dessert as I’m usually too full, but I’m a sucker for bread pudding so I added that to my order and I’m glad I did.  Killen’s makes their bread pudding with croissants, and it is easily the best I’ve ever had, and totally worth the wait in line on its own.

Beef Rib Plate
Killen’s is now in my top 5 now and a must visit when going to Houston.  Along with killer meats and sides, it’s actually one of the least expensive joints I’ve visited with my family.  I can’t wait to get back and have it again as well as try some of the other joints Houston has to offer.

Killen’s BBQ
3613 E Broadway
Pearland, TX

Twitter

Comments