Sunday, February 5, 2017

407 BBQ



For those that know me, I’m a walking, talking Texas cliché.  I love my BBQ, Dr Pepper and Dallas Cowboys, so the fact I’m a hunter too should come as no surprise.  In addition to numerous BBQ and Texas Tech related forums, I also spend a lot of time at www.texashuntingforum.com.  For the past few months there has been a buzz on there of a new BBQ trailer just north of Texas Motor Speedway called 407 BBQ that was opened up by a forum member and I finally got the chance to head that way and try it out.

Finding the place is easy as it’s right of I-35 W and 407 next to Paradise Grocery which is a must stop for my brother and I every race weekend.  Pitmaster Bryan McLarty started in October with just the trailer, but last week he installed a cabin kit to give dinners a place to get out of the elements and it was much appreciated as temps were in the mid-forties.  The trailer opens up into the dining room where you order and pay and then your food is brought out to your table.  The menu has your staples of brisket ribs and sausage, but they also have pulled pork as well.  Like normal I went with the Texas Trinity.


Since my daughter was with me I went with the more mild black peppered sausage which was very flavorful and not overpowered by the pepper.  While the sausage was very good, I thought it could use a little more smoke, but my daughter devoured all but the two bites I got.  Next I went with the brisket which had an ink like bark and smoke ring, but sliced VERY thin.  I thought this might have been because it wasn’t done enough, but it was not as bad as I thought it would be, but it was a bit dry.  I loved the amount of hickory smoke and seasoning and despite the dryness it was still a very flavorful piece of meat and the spicy sauce paired well.  Finally to the highlight of the meal, and that was the ribs.  Nice salty rub, perfect smoke and a good tug.  These ribs are worth the drive out west alone.  As for sides, the baked beans were pretty standard; the potato salad was well above average and went fantastic with the ribs.


For a place that has only been open for about four months now, I’m impressed and looking forward to what the future holds. Bryan says he plans on opening a brick in mortar in the next twelve months, but I will for sure make my way out to the trailer again before then for race weekend or when my daughter begs for a Buc-ees fix.

Also be sure to check out their segment this past week on WFAA in Dallas.


407 BBQ
1213 FM 407
Argyle, TX

1 comment:

  1. If you're looking for a venue for a small event in this area, you may want to stop by and check it out. Their staff is very friendly and the food is great. We preferred these Seattle venues because they are all-inclusive, so you don't have to worry about chairs and catering because it's all part of the package.

    ReplyDelete