Uncommon Ramen Featuring Aaron Franklin


Franklin BBQ
The Lineup




My first real BBQ crawl started at Franklin BBQ back in 2014 where I waited in line for nearly 4 hours to taste the best brisket I’ve ever had.  As I enjoyed my lunch, owner and Pitmaster Aaron Franklin sat down and gave me advice on his favorite places in Austin.  One of the places he mentioned was Uchi.  Not long after my trip, Uchi opened in Dallas along with a sibling restaurant, Top Knot. When I heard Top Knot was having an event featuring Aaron I knew I wanted to attend.


My reservations were at the very beginning at 5 PM, but I showed up a little early hoping to see a little bit of the behind the scenes action, and boy did I ever.  Aaron and the entire Top Knot staff were generous enough to allow me and all those interested access to the cutting board and seeing the bowls come together.  Like the artist he is, Aaron sliced brisket like the knife was an extension of his body.  Each bowl of Ramen consisted of both fatty and lean brisket in addition to pho broth, sprouts, herbs, pickled chili and of course noodles.  The brisket was actually cooked at the restaurant in Austin, and then transported to Dallas in coolers giving the brisket plenty of time to “rest” and taste just as good 200 miles away as it would in the restaurant.  Each time I eat Franklin brisket I’m always amazed how consistently good it is, it really is worth the hype.  Now for the Ramen, this was the first time I had any that didn’t come from a 49 cent package and of course I’ll never go back.  The broth was beefy and spicy and the handmade noodles were the perfect texture.  I’m a meat eater (obviously) and soups have never been my thing, but even without the brisket this is a meal I would eat all the time.
Franklin BBQ
Smoked Brisket Ramen


In addition to the smoked brisket ramen, there were two other special menu items.  The Bacon Pimento Cheese dog included creamy pimento cheese and smoked sausage with pickles and onions.  I normally don’t like pimento cheese, but this was amazing and paired well with the sausage. To wash it down I had the beer of the night which was called Figlet. Figlet comes from Jester King Brewery and is a Farmhouse Ale brewed with figs that were cold smoked at Franklin Barbecue.  The beer was very sweet, not smoky and very refreshing.  Had I not driven I could have easily had more than one.

Bacon Pimento Cheese Dog


I love events like this as it exposed me to a restaurant I would have never really considered going to, but now I cannot wait to get back and try their extensive menu.  The staff at Top Knot was fantastic from the hostess to the bartenders.  In addition to opening my eyes to something new, the event is also
providing a portion of the proceeds to No Kid Hungry.

Top Knot
2817 Maple Ave
Dallas, TX
www.topknotdallas.com


Comments

  1. This place is perfect for any kind of night you're looking for. In the downstairs area at San Francisco venues, you can enjoy a lounge setting while talking over drinks with a small party. Or, if you're looking to mingle or have a bite to eat, you can head upstairs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment