Tuesday, May 16, 2017

The Polite Pig

The Polite Pig

The family and I spent a fun filled (though very hot) week at Walt Disney World and like all other vacations I had to find some local BBQ.  In addition to the 4 theme parks Disney also has a mixed use development called Disney Springs which boasts many shops and dining options that aren’t “Disney Themed.”  The newest restaurant is a “Modern BBQ” concept called the Polite Pig.  Walking into the joint you immediately see a J&R smoker which is used by many fantastic joints here in Texas as well as around the World so my hopes were high as I know these can put out some great BBQ.  The menu was pretty extensive with offerings of Brisket, Pulled Pork, Spare Ribs, Chicken Wings and Salmon.  Even with an extensive menu like that I heard a couple say “They really don’t have much to offer.”  I have no clue what else they would want from a bbq menu, but oh well them getting out of line helped speed things up for me.  You place your order and the food is brought to you with a table finder similar to those used at 1050 in Richardson.

Disney Springs


Since chicken wings were the only meat they would sell ala carte and they don’t have a 2 or 3 meat plate  I opted for the brisket plate and an order of wings.  Wings were fantastically oak smoked and topped with their version of Alabama White Sauce (they call it BBQ Ranch).  I was three wings in before I even went for the brisket.  The brisket didn’t look good, it appeared to have been reheated (this was 2 PM) and was cut about a half an inch thick.  The brisket was plentiful and if I had to guess it was easily a half a pound worth.  My first bite reminded me of the pot roast I had the night before at the 50’s cafĂ© in Hollywood Studios.  Overall not bad, but not what you want in bbq, it reminded me of the very first brisket I ever cooked.  I will say the brisket was moist and tasted better than it looked. The Mac and Cheese and slaw were not the best and I didn’t take more than two bites.

Disney Springs


Since the place is new I’ll give them another shot on our next visit, hopefully by then they have everything working as it should, I really do think this place has potential.

The Polite Pig Disney Springs
1536 Buena Vista Drive, B-19 Suite 101, Orlando, FL 32830
www.politepig.com

No comments:

Post a Comment