Sunday, July 9, 2017

Freedmen's Bar

Freedmen’s has been on my BBQ Bucket List for a long time for two reasons:

11.       It’s housed in a building constructed in 1869 by a freed slave named George Franklin
22.       They serve BBQ Benedict on Sunday.

We arrived shortly before opening and were 4th in line.  As the doors opened, people were greeted by a hostess which is something not too common at a BBQ joint.  We were seated in their bar right under an AC vent which was awesome.  I knew exactly what I wanted and ordered the Brisket Biscuit Benedict and The Holy Trinity Plate (brisket, ribs and sausage).  Once my order was in I took a self-guided tour of the historic building.  I loved everything about it and took a quick (literally) video so y’all can get a quick glimpse.



The food arrived as soon as I was done with my tour and it looked AMAZING.  I’ve been anxious for so long to try the benedict, so that is where I started.  I punctured the perfectly cooked poached egg and dove in.  It was love at first bite.  The smoky brisket, fluffy biscuit, and hollandaise sauce mixed in with the egg yolk was indescribable.  It is easily one of my favorite BBQ dishes I’ve ever had.  Reluctantly, I let me wife have the second one (they come in pairs) but the good news is I still had the holy trinity plate.  The brisket was just as good by itself as it was with the benedict. It had nice smoke, fantastic peppered bark and was a top ten brisket in my opinion.  The excellence didn’t stop there as the ribs were just as good. They had a perfectly smoked, peppered bite and again a top ten meat.  As for the sausage, it was flavorful but just a bit too greasy for me.  Freedmen’s has had a rotation of pitmasters come in since Evan LeRoy left to start his own trailer. I can’t say if quality has dipped, but I can’t imagine so considering how fantastic everything was.

Freedmen's BBQ
Brisket Benedict

Freedmen's BBQ
Holy Trinity



All in all this has been one of my favorite new places to try (I know, I’m behind) and I can no longer imagine a trip to Austin without stopping here for Sunday brunch.  If you stop by here for the Yeti Texas BBQ Passport you would be doing yourself a disservice for only going for the sticker.  Make Freedmen’s food the priority and the sticker secondary, you’ll be glad you did.

Freedmen’s Bar
2402 San Gabriel Street
Austin, TX 78705

No comments:

Post a Comment