Stiles Switch

A week after the 2017 Texas Monthly Top 50 came out, my family and I planned a trip to Austin to knock out some on the list. I book ended the trip with two joins I had no been to before and that would be Freedmen's and Stiles Switch.  I had sampled their beef ribs at Red Dirt BBQ and Music Festival (which were great), but had never actually been to their joint in Austin.  We arrived shortly after 11 AM and were shocked there was no line!  We walked up to the counter and ordered The Texas Trinity and Brisket Frito Pie.

Texas Trinity

The brisket was good, standard hill country pepper profile, and a good amount of smoke.  The sausage was fantastic, not too greasy and nicely peppered.  The ribs were phenomenal with the perfect amount of heat and sweet.  As for sides, I got french fries which were awesome and I wish more joints ahd them and mac and cheese which my 5 year old approved of.  The standout for me was the Brisket Frito Pie.  I'm so happy we decided to this as the corn chips, chopped brisket and queso was a total flavor explosion.This dish I will for sure have again.  If you are stopping by here on your own BBQ Passport Journey and want something a little different, I cannot suggest this dish enough.

Stiles Switch
Brisket Frito Pie

After my meal, Pitmaster Lance Kirkpatrick gave me a tour of the pitroom and talked to me about their all day cooking process.  It really is amazing how many great people you meet in the bbq World and Lance is one of those people.





Stiles Switch
6610 N Lamar Blvld
Austin, TX 
www.stilesswitchbbq.com


Comments