So 2017 was another fun year on the BBQ trail. Below are some of my favorite moments.
5. My biggest surprise came from Flores BBQ in Whitney, TX. I’ve yet to post my review and will have it up at the first of the year. I don’t want to give away too much before I post my review, but their ribs were some of the best I’ve ever had. I can’t wait to make it back soon.
4. My favorite meal once again came from Evie Mae’s. From top to bottom this is the best BBQ joint I’ve ever been to. Their attention to detail goes from the brisket down to the desserts and service. If you haven’t been, make that your 2018 resolution.
3. Uncommon Ramen with Aaron Franklin. This was a fantastic meal and something I have craved often especially during the cold spell we are currently having. Aaron could not have been a nicer host.
2. I joined the Rec Tec Family. I’m a traditionalist and think the best BBQ comes from logs and fire from a stick burner. The only problem with that is I like to cook BBQ often and don’t always have the time to tend a fire. Rec Tec solves that problem. Their wood pellet grill when paired with quality 100% wood pellets produces a thin beautiful blue smoke with the convenience of “set it and forget it”. So far I’m in love with this cooker.
1. My overall favorite BBQ moment came in June of this past year. A friend of mine from childhood was diagnosed with cancer and they threw a BBQ and auction to help raise money for bills. I was honored to be asked to cook the brisket for this event. I managed to cook 6 full packers on a pit I had never used before and while the cook wasn’t as good as I would have liked, it was a success. I’m also forever grateful to Big Hat Smokers for donating a grill to the auction. Little did I know that 5 months later, my 5 year old daughter would be diagnosed with cancer. While I didn’t cook for this event expecting any kind of payback, I have received it tenfold. My family has a battle to fight, but the love and support we have received so far is unbelievable. I thank each and every one of you that has sent a text, an email, a gift and prayed for my daughter. I have zero doubt by the end of 2018 we will be throwing a remission BBQ blowout for all of you!
Here is to a wonderful and happy 2018